The NDIS Quality Safeguards Commission have released an online interactive course to better help those providing supports to NDIS participants. The course, consisting of 4 separate modules, encourages workers to consider and respond to a variety of scenarios in the context of supporting people with disabilities.
Once complete, a Support Worker will have a better understanding of their roles and responsibilities under the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission's code of conduct and the role that the commission plays.
The code of conduct includes the following;
- Act with respect for individual rights to freedom of expression, self determination and decision-making in accordance with applicable laws and conventions.
- Respect the privacy of people with disability.
- Provide supports and services in a safe and competent manner, with care and skill.
- Act with integrity, honesty and transparency.
- Promptly take steps to raise and act on concerns about matters that may impact the quality and safety of supports and services provided to people with disability.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent and respond to all forms of violence against, and exploitation, neglect and abuse of, people with disability.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent and respond to sexual misconduct.
Accuro Home Care has made this course mandatory for all new Direct Support Workers as part of their initial training and for all existing workers.